Harnesses for this breed are the ideal option for taking a dog for a walk in dog parks. They alleviate strain on the dog’s neck and disperse pressure over a broader body area, which makes them more secure. A Shih Tzu harness is the most comfortable and safest way to keep your dog under control when you go out for a walk or other outdoor activities.
Are you looking for the best harness for a Shih Tzu? I’m here to help you find it. Remember that your dog’s unique needs dictate which harness is the best.
8 Best Harnesses for a Shih Tzu Reviewed
Flat-faced breeds or brachycephalic dogs should wear harnesses since they don’t put a strain on their fragile necks. Dog harnesses come in a variety of designs, colors, materials, and padding levels. Let’s have a look at some of the best dog harnesses for Shih Tzu and their advantages and disadvantages.
1. Gooby Comfort X: Best Head-in Harness Overall
This Gooby harness is a great option if you’re searching for a fast and easy way to put on a harness for your pet. It’s easy to put on, with just one safety clasp to deal with. This step-in harness is designed to make caring for your dog easier. This harness has a mesh-style structure for extra breathability and cooling of your pet.
I bought it as a present for my mother’s dog on its birthday. Since then, it has become the most often used harness. It can be washed in the washing machine, which makes it a joy to maintain. These harnesses for small breeds are available in 10 vibrant colors. I will probably buy another color soon.
- Simple to put on due to the head-in design
- Your pet’s comfort is ensured by soft straps
- To avoid any additional strain on the neck, it is positioned lower on the chest
- Mesh design for easy ventilation
- Several owners claimed that this harness retained scents
2. Best Pet Supplies Voyager: Best Breathable Step-in Harness
This lightweight dog harness is made of a soft, breathable air mesh, making it ideal for year-round hikes. My neighbors walked their dog in this harness and said that they were very satisfied. This harness is equipped with two luminous bands on each side. It makes your pet even more visible during early morning and late evening walks.
The hook-and-loop fastener, buckle, and twin D-rings work together to provide three levels of protection for a pet. Your dog’s neck will be less stressed and strained due to the comfortable form that evenly distributes pulling pressure over its chest.
- Thermoplastic mesh
- Reflective threads
- Three extra features to keep your pet safe on the road
- Effortless to put on and remove
- Not a lot of space for adjustment
3. Curli Vest Air-Mesh Harness: Best Model for Size Range
Curli Vest Air-Mesh Harness is a suitable choice for those who wish to optimize the comfort of their dog. It is more comfortable for the dog’s skin and hair than most other strappy harnesses since it is fully cushioned all the way around.
Curli offers a wide range of sizes to give your dog the greatest fit possible. This harness comes in a wide range of sizes, partly because it isn’t very adjustable. It has a Velcro fastening at the top, so you can adjust it at the back. Reflective strips are placed at regular intervals throughout the harness to aid with visibility at night.
My friend Jerry purchased it for his Shih Tzu, and he’s satisfied with the quality. Jerry uses it as an everyday harness for his dog on hot days because the item is made of air-mesh fabric.
- A lightweight, breathable option
- The whole harness is padded
- Dogs are safer at night thanks to reflective strips
- A buckle clasp is more durable than a Velcro closure
- Once you select the size, you can’t adjust the harness too much
4. Rabbitgoo Dog Harness: Best-Rated Option by Customers
My cousin loves the Rabbitgoo Dog Harness because it’s simple to put on and take off, and it has all the features that he was looking for in a dog harness. It has a well-earned reputation as one of the most popular and highly rated dog harnesses on the market.
It has four adjustable straps, which makes it ideal for growing dogs, and a reflective thread that enhances nighttime visibility. Extra control is provided with the included handle. As a bonus, it has breathable cushioning and several leash connection points, making it a great choice for most pet owners.
The nylon and polyester construction of the Rabitgoo harness, as well as the high-quality stitching, ensure that it will last a long time. It’s also available in a slew of lovely colors for aesthetics.
- Well-made and reliable
- Adjustable straps
- Two positions for attaching a leash
- Handle included
- Reflective thread for nighttime visibility
- They’re on the little range
- Some owners have noted some fraying over time
5. Pupteck Soft-Mesh Dog Harness: Best for Design Assortment
This over-the-head, no-pull harness is easy to put on and straightforward to use. It’s beautiful and comfy, with cushioning and lightweight mesh. Pupteck harness is a nice option if you are looking for something budget-friendly and with an adjustable design. It is made from polyester fiber, which is a remarkably durable material. It combines with a breathable fabric from the inside, which does not irritate the dog’s skin.
This harness is both secure and comfortable for a pet. Also, it comes with a nice bonus: The leash of the complying style is included, which adds to the value of the item.
This option is my sister’s favorite. Pet owners like her don’t need a tactical harness with handles, additional D-rings, etc. Instead, she requires a cute and safe dog harness. For her, this Pupteck product is ideal. You can select from 23 designs, which is a pretty big range to choose from.
- Wide design range
- Very cute
- Simple to put on thanks to its one-button design
- A leash is included
- Soft-mesh padding
- The strap can be adjusted
- The head hole isn’t adjustable
6. Pupteck Small Dog Harness: Light Harness With Leash
This harness is one of my favorites because of how light it is. Shih Tzu owners can choose between pink, beige, or red options, each with a checkered pattern, to match their furry friend’s outfit while taking walks. It’s composed of polyester and has an adjustable Velcro strap with a clasp on the back.
The leash is made of nylon and has a plaid pattern on one side. Both the harness and leash are incredibly long-lasting and rust-resistant. This step-in chest vest harness offers a lengthy list of advantages, including strength and flexibility, as well as compliance with Shih Tzu’s peculiarities.
It’s a great option if you routinely take your dog for walks. The chest curvature of the Shih Tzu is well-matched by this harness and very durable. A seat belt attachment is also included.
- Unique style
- Meshy polyester
- Line-dry and machine washable
- Adjustable back buckle
- Might be small for your dog
7. Matilor Mesh Harness: Comfortable Model With Leash Handle
My friend Emma bought this product for her cat because she likes to walk around with it. She says that not only does the material look great but it is also soft and light. The item comes with two little reflective bands and is breathable, making it ideal for everyday use.
Velcro closure, a plastic safety lock, and two D-rings for leash attachments are used to fasten this step-in harness quickly and effortlessly. Although the smallest harness should fit most pups and Shih Tzus, you should first measure your dog’s chest to be sure.
You can attach an accessory or any other attachment to the leash ring near the handle. The foam grip makes it easy to carry. The tangle-free rustproof hook swivels at 360 degrees. Emma said she liked that the rope of the leash is weaved with reflective thread, it contributed to the safety after dusk.
- 100% polyester
- Velcro closure and a buckle for fastening
- Can be washed in the washing machine
- A matching plaid leash is included
- Neck and chest areas cannot be independently adjusted
- Velcro closures can be adjusted a little
8. EcoBark Dog Harness: Best Environmentally Friendly Solution
This EcoBark harness is a great option if you want to take care of the environment while still keeping your pet safe. Since the straps are manufactured from recycled water bottles, this innovative harness is a more environmentally friendly solution than other options.
My vegan friends bought it for their Shih Tzu, and they like it. However, it’s not that durable, and they had to buy a new one and give an old one for recycling after a while.
In addition, the lightweight and comfortable design of this harness is suitable for Shih Tzus. With a single clasp and adjustable waist strap, the harness is simple to put on and take off.
- Environmentally friendly
- The single-buckle design makes it simple to put on and take off
- Comfortable and well-fitting
- The non-adjustable neck hole might be too large for some puppies
- Durability could have been better
Harness for a Shih Tzu Buyer’s Guide
A high-quality harness has many handy features related to lengthening and shortening. It should fit snugly around the dog’s body without rubbing or squeezing any part. It must be composed of long-lasting but supple material. The product’s key features include portability and the ability to distribute air. You should pick the right size for your dog. In keeping with its name, a no-pull harness for Shih Tzu is designed to limit your dog’s ability to pull forcefully on its lead.
What is the best harness for a Shih Tzu
When searching for the best harness for your beloved canine companion, keep the following points in mind:
- Comfort. Your dog’s harness should be able to withstand daily wear and tear. It should be fitting, but not so tight that it irritates the skin or binds it in any way;
- Quality hardware and stitching. It’s not a good idea to compromise on quality components when it comes to your dog’s everyday harness. Solid attachment and smooth buckles are essential for a safe and secure harness. Quality stitching can also extend the life of your harness;
- No-pull features. A front-facing harness clip might be a lifesaver if your puppy tends to pull. You can control the pulling behavior by using harnesses that tighten when your dog pulls;
- Adjustable. For obvious reasons, a harness for puppies should be adjustable;
- Ease of use. Your dog’s harness should be simple to attach and straightforward to put on your dog;
- Reflective stitching. Stitching or elements that reflect light keep you and your dog safer at night;
- Handles. Controlling a hyperactive dog or puppy might be easier with the help of handles. In addition, they might be useful for helping your dog overcome difficult terrain;
- Padding. When the leash is tightened, your dog will be more comfortable if it has a layer of padding between the body and the leash.
Suitable size harness for a Shih Tzu
It is essential to choose the right harness size. If your dog is too large, it can try to get out of it. At the same time, the dog’s comfort might be compromised if the harness is too tight. Before making a purchase, ensure that you correctly measure the Shih Tzu harness size and pay close attention to the size charts.
What size harness does a Shih Tzu need? As long as your dog is wearing the harness, you should be able to fit two fingers between the harness and its body. After some period of use, you should also examine the neck. After removing the harness, there should be no skin bunching around the neck or shoulders or damage to the pet’s hair.
What size harness for the Shih Tzu puppy is correct
Consider the product’s size instructions to ensure that you get the appropriate fit and don’t overlook it. You need to take your puppy’s measurements and choose the best dog harness for a Shih Tzu that can be adjusted to fit as it grows. Harnesses should fit comfortably, yet provide room for two fingers to slip through.
FAQ on Harnesses for a Shih Tzu
The following questions are the most common among the average Shih Tzu owners. Hopefully, my answers will be beneficial for you.
Shih Tzu collar or harness?
Harnesses are preferable since they don’t overstrain a pet’s neck. By pulling the dog’s collar, you run the risk of damaging the pet’s neck.
Should Shih Tzu wear a harness?
Certainly. Using a harness prevents dogs from yanking on their leashes and gives you more control. Shih Tzus are known to suffer from health problems when owners walk them on a leash with a collar.
How to measure a Shih Tzu for a harness?
First, you should measure the chest of your dog. You should manage to insert several fingers under the harness and your Shih Tzu’s chest for it to fit not too tightly.
Pick Right Harness for Your Furry Companion
Shih Tzus tend to have weak neck and shoulder muscles, so a harness is more suitable for your dog than a dog collar. What is the best harness for a Shih Tzu? There are a wide variety of harnesses available, but finding the appropriate one might be challenging. I recommend you to pick the Gooby’s harness, but the choice is yours.
Hopefully, this post will help you pick the right harness for your dog. Have you used any of these harnesses? Let me know what you think in the comments section below!
Also Read About Shih Tzu
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzu
- Best Wet Dog Food for Shih Tzu
- Best Puppy Shampoo for Shih Tzu
- Best Shih Tzu Toys
- Best Clippers for Shih Tzu Dogs
- How to Clean Shih Tzu Eyes
- How To Bathe a Shih Tzu
- Shih Tzu VS Lhasa Apso
- Shih Poo VS Shih Tzu