Healthy balanced nutrition is as vital for the well-being of our furry friends as for humans. Moreover, many pets have sensitive digestive systems and need food with a specific composition.
And, sure, the careful owners always remember that their puppies are independent creatures and have their imaginations about good food. Put another way, some pets might be pretty picky about their diet.
Finding the best wet dog food for Shih Tzu took some time, but I got it. I want to share my opinion about some wet dog food in this review. I have never tasted it, but my Shih Tzu is an experienced tester!
5 Best Wet Dog Food for Shih Tzu Reviewed
- Hill’s Science Diet for Picky Eaters – Top Pick
- I and Love and You Naked Essentials
- Canidae Pure Petite Limited Ingredient Premium
- Purina Beneful Incredibites Adult
- Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet
These days you may find a ton of dog food options. Here is a list of some of the best wet dog food for small dogs on the market.
1. Hill’s Science Diet for Picky Eaters
The story of Hill’s Science Diet began with one good deed in the 1960s. Then, veterinarian, Dr. Mark Morris was asked to formulate an exceptional food for seeing-eye Buddy, who suffered from kidney disease. The doctor managed to create a composition that helped his furry patient feel better. Inspired by the success, he and his son, Mark L. Morris, founded a company to develop special pet food formulas based on scientific research.
Hill’s Science Diet provides balanced nutrition depending on the pet’s age, size, and needs. If you have a breed that is picky with its food, you might find suitable treat here.
It is on my list because of its vast experience and quality range. The mouth-watering Hill’s Science Diet Wet Food for Senior Dogs is ideal for my picky eater, 8-year-old pet. An optimal serving (3.5 ounces) consists of easily digestible ingredients — stewed chicken and vegetables. These tender pieces in a flavorful sauce are the ultimate treat for my dog while they improve its well-being.
- Developed by nutritionists
- Natural composition
- High-quality protein
- Fit for picky eater
- U.S. Veterinarian’ №1 Recommended Brand
- Higher price
- The packaging may seem inconvenient (when removing the plastic cover, the sauce might splash a little)
2. I and Love and You Naked Essentials — Great Food for Shih Tzu With Turkey
With its original name, this small company from Colorado has been doing great things for over 10 years. Its team makes food for pets, particularly wet Shih Tzu, which is as close as possible to the diet that the ancestors of modern dogs followed.
The main ingredient is meat or poultry (beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, and venison), complemented by vegetables and fruit (pumpkin, cranberry, spinach, etc.). In addition, this brand is eco-friendly and is a founding member of the Pet Industry Sustainability Coalition.
Naked Essentials Wet Dog Food for Large and Small Dogs is included in my top wet dog food. You will find no grain, cage, offal, carrageenan thickener, no artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors in these 13-ounce cans.
If you have a dog with an allergy, you should worry about your fluffy friend’s health as the brand does not use common allergens like rice, soy, corn, and wheat. Instead, the recipe includes turkey, carrots, sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, peas, green beans, and flaxseed oil. Tasty and nutritious!
- Allergy-safe pet food
- Grain-free recipe
- Real turkey 1st an ingredient
- No artificial preservatives and fillers
- Healthy skin and coat from Omega 3 + 6 fatty acids
- Due to the gravy, you might have to wash your pets’ faces after feeding
3. Canidae Pure Petite Limited Ingredient Premium — Food for Dogs With a Sensitive Stomach
A bowl full of goodness. This eloquent metaphor best describes the products produced by Canidae. The company began its journey in 1996 to create advanced pet food for pets worldwide. The brand has set a high bar at all stages of its activities, from renewable agriculture to environmentally friendly packaging, stating a new standard for pet food production.
I am so glad to see this brand on pet store shelves, especially this product helping several of my furry friends with digestive systems problems. Fricassee with turkey, green beans, carrots, and peas is a grain-free, hypoallergenic food for dogs with sensitive stomachs. There are only healthy ingredients in the 3,5-ounce tubs that nourish your dog with every bite.
- Vegetables grown on the farm
- Premium proteins
- No corn, wheat, soy, or other fillers
- Antioxidant and probiotic formula
- More expensive to compare with other brands
4. Purina Beneful Incredibites Adult for Senior Dogs
For more than a century, it has been creating a balanced feed for animals, experimenting with developing new flavors and compositions. Purina maintains strict quality and safety standards. For each batch to meet the expectations of our pets, the brand conducts regular checks.
One of the successful recipes might be this one. After all, this food is designed specifically for adult dogs of small breeds, which means that it can be a good choice of Shih Tzu wet food for my 8-year-old furry friend. There are a few variants of wet food — chicken, beef, and salmon with rice.
IncrediBites formulas are enriched with nutrients that help support a dog’s faster metabolism. The 3-ounce serving disappears from the plate flash as small pieces in a delicate sauce are effortless to chew.
- High protein content
- 23 basic vitamins and minerals
- No artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- Affordable price
- Recipe contains whole grains and rice, which might be allergenic
5. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet for Pets With Food Allergies
It is a brand I have a lot of respect for. In the 1990s, the Wellness team set out to develop a food that would revolutionize pet food production. As a result of cooperation with animal nutrition experts, veterinarians, and scientists, feed recipes with the ideal balance of natural ingredients have appeared. Look at one of them!
You may consider this Shih Tzu wet food if your dog has food allergies. It is a dietary dog food with a limited content of natural ingredients. It can be viewed as top wet dog food for adult dogs prone to allergies, with food sensitivities or intolerance of components. Thanks to the balance of a single source of protein and easily digestible carbohydrates, this feed nourishes from the inside, promoting calm digestion.
- Grain-free recipe
- Easily digestible
- Supports skin & coat health
- High protein
- No by-product meals, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Higher price to compare with other brands
Buyer’s Guide on How to Find the Best Wet Dog Food for Shih Tzu
Cute small pets often are associated with joy and fun. It is true in case they feel well. Owners should ensure their dogs have the best living conditions, especially nutrition. Read more about selecting food for your puppy!
Can Shih Tzus have wet food?
If you are inclined to wet food for Shih Tzu, you might consider such recipes presented. Usually, dogs of this breed eat wet food with pleasure. In addition, wet food can be recommended for pets that drink little water. This way, they receive additional liquid, allowing them to maintain water balance.
Also, the pronounced aroma of wet food may be better if a pet does not eat much. Dogs trust their sense of smell more than their sense of taste.
How to choose the best wet food for Shih Tzu dogs?
When seeking wet Shih Tzu food, it is best to focus on what will maintain a good state of his well-being and, most importantly, will not harm it. For this, consider the following factors.
There are many foods specifically designed for small dogs. Try to choose such options first as they are developed for the peculiarities of the body of such animals.
At each stage of life, a dog needs definite food containing special ingredients.
If your dog is energetic, it may be better to feed it with higher calorie content.
4. State of health
For pets with health issues, it is worth buying exceptional dietary feed — recommended dog food for Shih Tzu by a veterinarian.
5. Brand reputation
I advise contacting only reliable manufacturers who offer high-quality feed and are responsible for their products.
Optimal composition of wet food for Shih Tzu dogs
Healthy food allows you to function normally and enjoy life. But what should healthy food be? Let’s look at the food label together!
- Your dog’s food must contain a certain amount of macronutrients. Their optimal amount is determined depending on the particular pet’s needs.
- All ingredients must be of high quality. Thus, food with an optimal composition should contain natural meat, not offal.
- Avoid Shih Tzu wet food with artificial preservatives and additives that may cause issues with the liver and kidneys.
- Is your puppy allergic to some foods? It is crucial to carefully study the composition and exclude those recipes containing such ingredients.
- Due to its small size, dogs of this breed often have difficulty digesting fibrous food, particularly grain. With this in mind, it would be best to choose grain-free feed.
- When forming a pet diet, avoid foods that are toxic to them — chocolate, bread, raw eggs and meat, nuts, xylitol, cow’s milk/dairy products, green potatoes, mushrooms, salt, and spicy food.
FAQ on Best Wet Dog Food for Shih Tzu
Shih Tzus is a breed with special needs. Therefore, it is vital to keep it in mind and look for the best decisions that enhance its well-being.
Should I feed my Shih Tzu wet or dry food?
First, it depends on your pet’s preferences. However, it might be better to feed it with more alluring wet food if it does not drink and eat enough daily. If your fluffy friend eats small portions during the day, you might use dry food which will not spoil.
How much food does a Shih Tzu need?
On average, this breed’s daily needs for puppies and seniors is about 280 calories, and for adult dogs – 340 calories. If you are a happy owner of an extremely active pet, you should provide about 540 calories a day.
Does a Shih Tzu need special dog food?
Due to its small size and long hair, it usually needs special dietary food developed for the peculiarities of its body. It should be recommended dog food for Shih Tzu by a veterinarian.
What Food for Shih Tzu Dogs to Pick?
Understanding the benefits of feeding your dog the best recipe to meet its needs is essential. We considered 5 best food options from different brands. Each has its pros and cons, which we should think about before ordering. I prefer to choose for my picky eater Shih Tzu Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food, thanks to its balanced composition and good reputation.
Also Read About Shih Tzu
- Best Dog Bed for Shih Tzu
- Best Puppy Shampoo for Shih Tzu
- Best Shih Tzu Toys
- Best Clippers for Shih Tzu Dogs
- Best Harness for a Shih Tzu
- How to Clean Shih Tzu Eyes
- How To Bathe a Shih Tzu
- Shih Tzu VS Lhasa Apso
- Shih Poo VS Shih Tzu
Is your pet a picky eater? What is the most significant for you when you choose wet food for Shih Tzu dogs? Tell us!