How to Exercise Dog in Winter: Detailed Guide
It becomes challenging to train a dog outside when it gets very cold. This is why dog lovers often wonder how to exercise a dog in winter. In this article, I will talk about how you can train your dog at home and how effective it is. In addition, I will give some tips to help you take care of your pet in winter. If you have questions, read my answers in the FAQ section. If no question answers your query, then ask me in the comments.
Ways to Exercise Your Dog in Winter
Dog training in winter is more challenging than in summer. There are many methods, and you need to choose the one that will suit you the most:
- use different techniques;
- run with the dog;
- dress your pet if necessary;
- keep your dog healthy;
- enroll your dog in special classes.
Importance of Dogs’ Exercising Regardless of the Season
Training of dogs is necessary to bring up discipline in the animal. That’s why it’s essential to exercise your pet regularly. It is equally important to train it in the cold season. You can do it on the street, at home, or in special centers.
- If you are training your canine outside, you should understand that the dog can freeze. Many breeds freeze in the cold. Therefore, you have to put special clothing on your pet. You should also monitor its well-being. If the dog feels bad, then you should stop training.
- Home workouts are also possible. You can use a ladder or other household items. Activities at home will not be as complete as on the street, but this is a good alternative.
- Special centers provide the possibility of walking dogs in winter. There are also certified cynologists. They will help train your pet. These centers are chargeable, so ask about the price directly at the place.
These are the most popular options. You can find other methods if they are available in your city. The cheapest way is to work out at home. Walking down the street and back, you can spend money on pet clothes. These options are suitable for most Americans.
Great Ways to Get Dog Indoor Exercise in Winter
To train your dog at home, you need to give it motivation. You can reward the animal with a treat or a wholesome meal. The dog will understand what it needs to do to get goodies. It is difficult to force a dog, so I do not recommend that you do it. If the dog does not want to walk outside, it is better to reduce the number of walks in the street and play more at home instead.
How to Give Your Dog Exercise in Winter?
It is very difficult to force a dog. It is better to find motivation and encourage it. This way, you can do better workouts.
- Several devices can replace walking. For example, you can use a special treadmill for dogs. If you don’t want to spend money, you can use home supplies like a ladder. Don’t forget about safety.
- Dogs have a good sense of smell, so you can take advantage of this fact. For example, you can make a path of obstacles and put a treat at the end as a reward. This will provide the pet with good motivation.
- You can also play hide-and-seek games. It is you who can hide, or you can hide some item. This game will tire your dog well.
- There are also special centers where your dog can be trained and played with. You can entrust your pet to professionals and run your daily errands. This is a good option for those who don’t have much time to walk their pet. After visiting such centers, dogs are usually tired and calm.
There are many methods to keep your canine in form. You need to choose the one that suits your dog. Try each, observe the pet’s reaction, and you will understand what suits your case.
Keep Your Dog’s Body Warm and Protect Its Paws
A dog mustn’t freeze because it can catch a cold. You need to dress it according to the season so that the animal does not get sick. Some breeds such as huskies don’t need clothes. However, dogs with short hair can get sick. If you don’t have suitable clothing, it’s better not to go outside.
FAQ About Exercising a Dog in Winter
In this section, I will answer some questions about how to exercise a dog in winter. If you have any queries I haven’t addressed here, let me know in the comments below.
Do dogs need as much exercise in winter?
It all depends on which exercises you use. More movement will help you keep the dog warm in winter. After training, ensure that the dog calms down its breathing. This is necessary so that the animal does not get sick.
How long should I walk my dog in winter?
It is best not to leave a dog on the street for a long time without movement. The fact is that the coat of some dogs is not designed to endure the cold (e.g., Chihuahuas or other short-haired dogs). If your dog is cold, it is best to dress it up. For example, a husky does not need clothes. A dog only requires clothes when it’s cold.
How cold is too cold for dogs to walk?
Most dog owners (51.8%) have noticed that their pets are cold outside. Therefore, it is highly likely that your animal will be freezing too. I advise you to take warm clothes with you to dress the dog later.
Get a Dog Exercise in Winter
You can also train with your dog in winter. However, you have to follow certain rules. Be active, monitor the well-being of the dog, dress it as needed, and do some exercises at home too.
Though the guidelines I have provided here are detailed, I have not considered all the peculiarities of various dog breeds because there are many of them. If you have specific questions, you can ask them in the comments. If your queries are related to the pet’s health, it is better to consult a veterinarian.
How do you take care of your dog in winter? Share your experience in the comments.